Conversion or transformation of a sentence implies changing grammatical form of a sentence from one to another without changing its meaning. It can be done in a number of ways.
These methods are to interchange different types of sentences i.e. Affirmative, Negative and Interrogative Sentences, Simple Sentence, Compound Sentence and Complex Sentence. Before understanding conversion a brief view about these types of sentences.
A sentence comprises generally of following parts : Subject, Verb and Object. OR Subject and Predicate.
Here follow exercises of transformation of sentences for practice.
Exercises for Practice :
EXERCISE : Change the following Sentences (without changing their meaning) as directed.
(Change one form of sentence to another form i.e. from Simple sentence to a compound sentence)
Rewrite the following Simple Sentences as Compound Sentences:
- The old man being weak could not walk properly.
- His father in spite of being poor is a contended man.
- She must work hard to be successful in the examination.
- Our teacher is popular among students for his diligence.
- But for his faults he would have progressed immensely.
- Visualizing a danger ahead, the traveler became cautious.
- The student must accept his fault to escape his punishment.
- The culprit ran away to escape his arrest.
- Taking off their clothes the children jumped into the river.
- In the event of being late you will not be allowed entry.
Rewrite the following Simple Sentences as Complex Sentences:
- Nobody could find out the place of their stay.
- The purpose of his visit to this place is not known.
- All the laborers set out for their homes at sunset.
- On seeing the policeman, the thief fled away.
- You cannot succeed without working hard.
- Pious women are always respected by all.
- I do not know the way leading to his house.
- The guests sitting in the room could not hear his voice.
- She hoped to be successful in the examination.
- A man fair in his dealings is always trusted.
Rewrite the following Complex Sentences as Compound Sentences:
- I am confident that he is innocent in this matter.
- Unless he works hard, he cannot pass the examination.
- However hard work she may do she cannot pass the examination.
- She is sure that he has stolen her purse.
- As the shopkeeper quarrels with every customer, nobody likes him.
- If he does not improve his behavior, he will lose all his friends.
- Unless the culprit accepts his fault, he will not be spared.
- She did not attend the office because she felt unwell today.
- She has lost the book that she had purchased.
- If you do not attend the class you will not be allowed to sit in the examination.
Rewrite the following Compound Sentences as Complex Sentences:
- Let me reach my office and then I shall talk to him.
- .Spare the rod and spoil the child.
- The thief saw the police man, so he ran away.
- She is feeling unwell so she cannot attend her office today.
- The child felt hungry, so he started weeping.
- The news is very good but it is not true.
- Eat less and you will remain healthy.
- The old man is very rich but he is a miser.
- Children put on new clothes and went to see the fair.
- Keep quiet or you will repent.
(DISCLAIMER :The writer has taken all care to provide the best and correct information but does not take any responsibility for any mistake crept in the material. The material is as per best knowledge and experience of writer however no responsibility for any resemblance with any material written or otherwise)
Also, Checkout our Courses
Architecting with Google Cloud Platform 日本語版49.00$ Including tax via Coursera
Programming with Google Go49.00$ Including tax via Coursera
How Google does Machine Learning auf Deutsch49.00$ Including tax via Coursera
Developing APIs with Google Cloud’s Apigee API Platform39.00$ Including tax via Coursera