Usage of Words—Sentences–The Same Word Used As Different Parts Of Speech
SENTENCES FOR PRACTICE —
The category of a particular word to which part of speech it relates depends upon how it is used in a particular sentence.
In examination, generally, a set of sentences using a word as different parts of speech is given. Candidates are required to identify the sentence having incorrect use of word in it.
A list of some words used as different parts of speech in sentences is given here under for practice.
- This is an act of kindness on his part.
- This play consists of five acts.
- The new act comes into force with immediate effect.
- He did not act on my advice.
- Our team staged one act play on the stage.
- The boys rendered first aid to the injured.
- We should aid him in the hour of his trouble.
- He teaches in a government aided school.
- The child filled air in the balloon.
- This news was first aired on radio.
- Our country supplies light air crafts to other countries.
- The aim of his life is to become a doctor.
- The hunter aimed at the deer.
- We should remove social abuses from the society.
- He hurled abuses at the poor beggar.
- He abused the poor beggar.
- He abused his position in the office.
- His all was lost in the recent earthquake.
- All attended the last meeting.
- All did not speak in his favour.
- The boss was all alone in the room.
- All members were present in the meeting.
- All men are mortal.
- All going well, I shall reach there by tomorrow.
- He sought blessings from above.
- All our blessings come from above.
- Explain the above sentences.
- His conduct is above board.
- Nobody is above law.
- The heavens are above.
- Act according to the instructions listed above.
- He wandered about in the garden.
- There is something pleasing about him.
- He is about to return now.
- I was surprised at his about turn attitude in the matter.
- We reached soon after.
- The child takes after her mother.
- Mother looks after her son.
- After ages shall praise his virtues.
- We dispersed after they had left.
- He is the most sought after person in the city.
- Is there any man present in the room?
- Does any one of you want to go there?
- Is that any better?
- He is fond of reading books.
- He got his account books checked.
- The culprit must be brought to book.
- He is a book worm.
- He is a book binder by profession.
- He got his luggage booked.
- Mother carried her child on her back.
- He backed out from his promise.
- No one in the office will back you on this point.
- He came back from his office in the evening.
- He hit him on his backside with a stick.
- She entered the house from back door.
- She is in the habit of backbiting.
- The teacher made all the backbenchers stand on their benches.
- He is a patriot to the backbone.
- He died of snake bite.
- He was bitten by a dog.
- He was set free on a bail.
- The accused will be bailed out today.
- The chairman put forth a better plan in the meeting.
- He tried to do better this time.
- She sings better than you.
- He tried to better his condition.
- We should always respect our betters.
- He submitted his plan but we should bring forth a better.
- The solution to the problem offered by him bettered the situation.
- But me no buts.
- There was none but wept.
- It is but right to admit our fault.
- He attempted many times but could not succeed.
- None but an honest deserves applause.
- Not one, but two proposals were received.
- He arrived but a minute ago.
- He deposited his all money in a bank.
- He was walking along the river bank.
- You cannot bank upon such a person for help.
- I have not seen you before.
He went away before I reached there.
He came before the appointed time.
The thief will die before he tells the police anything.
He spoke before a huge crowd.
Your needs come before theirs.
- The farmer was beating the bullock with a stick.
- The drummer was beating the drum.
- The postman distributes dak in his beat.
- Their team was beaten in the semifinal.
- The doctor was feeling beat of his heart.
- He has beaten his own earlier record.
- At the first beat of the drum all the guests started clapping.
- He was having a bag hanging on his shoulder.
- The deserving team bagged the trophy.
- He spent the afternoon bagging groceries at the local supermarket.
- The bagpiper gave an interesting performance on the stage.
- He left the city bag baggage.
- He went to bed at 9 p.m.
- He purchased a new bed cover for me.
- To put something to bed – to finish something.
- To get up on the wrong side of the bed—to be irritated from morning since beginning of day.
Some words —- Bed sheet, Bed ridden, Bed sores, River bed, Bed of roses, Bed of thorns.
- The leader unveiled the bust of the martyr raised by villagers.
- Police busted the gang of criminals during their raid.
- The mechanic busted our television set.
- The child busted its leg while playing.
- He busted the villain over his head.
- He gave a bust into his face.
- The child found it difficult to move with its busted leg.
- He decided to sell off his bust Television set.
- I do not care whether he comes or not.
- He does not take care of his parents.
- He advised me to handle the box with care.
- She has undergone a skin care treatment.
- Nobody is without a care in this world.
- The child was put into the care of its mother.
- Children take care of their parents.
- At the close of the day, share prices fell down sharply.
- He is my close friend.
- A closed mouth catches no flies.
- It is very close today.
- Please close the door.
- He was sitting close to his wife.
- They live close by.
- The deadline given by authorities is getting close now.
- The roof of the house was close to collapse.
- The thief escaped under the cover of darkness.
- She put a cover of a thin cloth over her face.
- The lady covered her face with a thin cloth.
- The speaker covered all the aspects of the topic in his speech.
- The traveler covered a long distance during the day.
- She procured an insurance cover for her household goods.
- She purchased a new bed cover for her daughter.
- The enquiry blew cover of many misdeeds of the boss.
- Water changes to ice on freezing.
- There is no change in the condition of the patient.
- With the passage time, there was a change in their thinking.
- I requested him for change instead of a rupee note.
- Change is the law of nature.